Friday 7 November 2014

OUGD603 - Extended Practice: Christmas Card LCA Live Brief (Card Secondary Research)

Kikki.k 

Kikki.k is a website which was recommended to me by Vicky when we all received this brief via email. They are based in Australia and have some really cute, individual ideas which I can take inspiration from for my own personal designs. 


POP UP CARDS 10PK: CHRISTMAS

I love the idea of having part of the image which 'pops up' out of the card when it is folded in half. Such a simple idea but just adds a little memorable feature to make the design stand out from the rest. 

POP UP CARDS 10PK: CHRISTMAS

The photograph below shows a range of different products which work together as a set. As I was planning on designing my own cards prior to receiving this brief, I had already decided that I wanted to create a range of different products to eventually sell when I set up my own business. Therefore anything I come across which is relevant, such as the image below, I am going to continue to post. 

POP UP CARDS 10PK: CHRISTMAS

I also love the way all of the cards have been bound together by using string here. Such a simple and yet effective packaging solution. 

A6 GREETING CARDS 10PK: CHRISTMAS

A6 GREETING CARDS 10PK: CHRISTMAS

Although the brief does not require a range of cards and they have only asked for one, I really love the idea of creating a set of designs which work well together. They wouldn't be extremely different from each other, but it would give the staff at Leeds College of Art the opportunity to diversify the designs slightly and send a selection out. This also works well for me, as the more experience I have with designing cards, the better! 

A6 GREETING CARDS 10PK: CHRISTMAS

When I extend this brief, I would love to experiment with designing small labels/tags to be used when packaging presents. The idea of simply taking the image from the card and using it on it's own works really well in my opinion and is really effective.

SHAPED GIFT TAGS 12PK: CHRISTMAS

This is a much more modern design. However, it has instantly sparked several ideas which I feel could work to represent Leeds College of Art. Using the shape of their logo which is currently being used, different images could be formed, such as a Christmas tree, a wreath or even baubles. I really like this idea and think it has potential to work! 

GREETING CARD TREE: CHRISTMAS

GREETING CARD TREE: CHRISTMAS


Not on the high street

I love the idea of being able to interact with a card rather than simply appreciating it from a distance on the mantle piece for example. I also think that this is a more sustainable way of designing, as it gives the card a multiple purpose which is extremely important, and is becoming more and more important within my practice as a graphic designer. 

I think for the purpose of this brief however, making something as complex as the design below may be a bit too complicated, as they need to be easy to replicate. Had we been given slightly longer to complete the brief and if the cards were being designed for a younger audience (children) then this kind of concept would have been ideal. 

'Dress Up A Penguin' Christmas Card

'Dress Up A Penguin' Christmas Card

The idea of using different textures and different materials for the final touches would give the cards an added aesthetic value which the recipient may not have experienced before, when received any other Christmas cards. I definitely want to incorporate this idea somehow into the design of the cards.


'Woof Woof Means Merry Christmas' Scottie Dog Card















No comments:

Post a Comment